Thursday, July 26, 2012

Happy 15th Wedding Anniversary to us!

Happy 15th Wedding Anniversary to us!
It was the hottest day of the year but so much fun! We were married in Indianola, Iowa at the Methodist Church. Our reception was at the Embassy Suites hotel in Des Moines, Iowa. Most remember it as being VERY hot (the a/c in the hotel broke down!!), others remember it as the greatest party of the year; I remember it as the BEST day of my life!

Matt was working as editor of the DI but was also a "columnist" for the Des Moines Register's "Young Writers section." Here is his column a few days before our marriage:

Here is what is says in case you are curious...


Making that head first plunge into married life.

In just four days I will be in a church in Indianola, Iowa, dressed in a classy tuxedo standing next to my best friend (we’ll call him Flash to protect the innocent) and my two crazy brothers (we’ll call them Scotty and Rain Man-they’re not innocent) as the bride walks down the aisle. No big deal, we’ve been here before. Last time it was Flash, and the time before that my brother, Scotty, tied the knot. But this time I’m the one who says, “ I do.”
It’s official. Until just a few weeks ago, marriage was kind of an abstract notion I had about how things “are done.” Monday, Canada9 yes, for the guh-zillionth time that is her real name) and I went to the county recorder to apply for our marriage license. Reality is setting in, and I have no regrets.
Everyone I talk to lately hounds me about getting married. “Are you nervous?” “How old are you?” “Are you ready?” “Are you crazy?!?”
No, I am not crazy. I’m getting married at age 12, and it’s great. Somehow I found myself in a very unique position. There seems to be a unilateral effort against marriage. I
I've been with Canada for almost five years. I have only a hazy memory what life was like without her.
Sure, I have a little anxiety. For the last few weeks I’ve been up to my eyeballs in wedding stuff. Call the dj, find an organist, send invitations, get gifts for the wedding party, pacify nervous wrecks like my mother-no one said this would be easy. The only butterflies in my stomach are the result of trying to balance 10- to 12-hour workdays and constant wedding preparations.
But the thought of spending the rest of my life with Canada doesn’t even phase me. Hell, I wouldn’t be doing all this if it did. When I proposed (ahh, now that’s another story) there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to grow old with her. There are very few moments in my life that are so crystal clear. The first time I really talked to her, I literally fell in hove in a heartbeat. It was like a fist in my gut; it took my breath away. In one instant I knew she was the ONE. I never looked back.
I don’t know how else to say it; it was that easy. I know, I know, this all sounds like a movie starring Julia Roberts. You know, the kind of movie boyfriends go to with their girlfriends in silent protest. When I tell the story people are always amazed. I was once called the “last of the hopeless romantics” by my professor. Woman at work hear the story and sigh, “I wish there were more guys like you.” We must be in short supply.
So all this, quite apparently, is another unique episode in my singularly charmed life, right? I say that’s bull. This is my life, charmed or not, and it’s not all a romantic fairy tale. Let’s see, I think the last spat was over car keys. Before that it was the dishes or something. I’m not a hopeless romantic. I’m just a guy who has the same stupid problems as everyone else. I pay the same bills. I drive the same kind of car. I listen to the same music-well, mostly, anyway. I’m also a guy who happened to get very lucky, very early in life.
Stories like mine could happen to anyone who takes the time to notice the beauty inside another person. I bet you won’t that at the Union or the Fieldhouse Bar, but then again I never had to look. Beyond that I have no idea where to look. I got lucky enough to stumble upon it almost five years ago. Like said, I have a charmed life. For you, maybe it’ll happen tomorrow maybe in ten years. Hell, maybe it’s happening right now.
But it does happen outside of Hollywood and Robert Waller novels. Maybe getting married isn’t what you’re looking for. I’m not here to champion marriage. But everyone is looking for someone to share his or her life with. I’ll champion that any day. Everyone is looking for love and it’s no wonder. I hear it’s all you need.
--Matt Snyder is the editor of The Daily Iowan. His column appears alternate Tuesdays on the Viewpoints page. Des Moines Register, July 22, 1997.

...the 15th anniversary celebration complete with the 15th year "gift:" crystal. Actually, scotch embossed glasses. You can't tell from the picture, but they have a maple leaf engraved on the bottom too! We ate at 801 Chophouse! Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment