Saturday, October 6, 2012

Friday, October 5-A day in the life...

Today was a busy day at work. I've been getting in around 7-7:10 most days this year and leaving at 3:30 to attend Kosama classes. You are all thinking, yeah, that's a typical 8 hour work day, which it is. But for one moment here I'm going to get on my teacher high horse and remind all that dealing with over 100 personalities in one day, along with their parents and the 200+ essays and assignments I have to grade, and the extensive amount of reading I have to do to prepare for college-leve AP and IB history classes is sometimes too much. Now, of course, everyone has stress in their jobs. I love my job. No question about it. But sometimes I have to pause, look at my desk and well, just sigh. This is what my desk looked like by 8am Friday morning. I will walk through it with you.
Of course, the laptop which holds my teaching life. then to the right of that, a stand of quotes to inspire, the Vicks bottle so i can breathe with a constant runny nose, the Camelbak that I refill every hour, the set of plastic flowers my friend made me to cheer up my desk, the coffee can of pens, pencils, highlighters, sharpies and the ipod dock to listen to music. then every drawer is pulled, full of teacher stuff and folders. then the books. you can see two books right away, but there are 3 more history books piled under the essays i'm grading, the journal articles i'm reading and the syllabi I have to follow. and of course pics of my family.
So, i just thought i would give you a quick look into my busy day and why sometimes hearing "Mrs. Snyder, Mrs. Snyder..." can almost bring me to frustrated tears. But then, hearing "Mrs. Snyder, I have a question because I don't understand..."brings me to great joy because kids are learning. It's a balance like all other jobs; i just happen to do mine daily with 100 people walking through my door.


No comments:

Post a Comment