Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Monday, October 1--Thoughts on Books

I love reading. But I have the hardest time finding good books lately. I troll through HalfPrice Bookstore, kindle apps, our local library and suggestions on B&N website, the New York times and of course friend suggestions. I had a great conversation with my boss last week about some books because she is an avid reader too, then with my friend, Sue. I decided I need to read some books with great writing. Sometimes I just pick up whatever is nearby and the writing is terrible, but I keep reading anyways. So, I'm currently reading John Lawton's Blackout (of the John Le Carre style) and although it's a bit too descriptive--some pages don't get to the point--I take a deep breath and keep reading. Because the story is really good and well written. I'm just impatient. The next book I'm reading is by Russell Banks. He wrote Cloudsplitter which is a historical fiction novel about John Brown's sons. Can't wait to dive into this new one! I'm also on the waiting list for the Book Thief. I heard about it over a year ago and mentioned it to Kate. It's intense. Fall is a good time for intensity. I tend to be on the cheap side for books. I don't buy a kindle book over $10 and I prefer books from the library or half price. However, it often happens the books I borrow are the books I love, and the books I pay full price for, are the books I could do without! 


No comments:

Post a Comment