Thursday, August 30, 2012

Wednesday-August 29--I like smart, thoughtful people!

So last year at the beginning of the school year (in the copy room, no less) Brian Reece and I started chatting about historical books and things we read over the summer. I told him how I read Devil in the White City and he mentioned the new book, In the Garden of Beasts. He was talking to me about it and it seemed right up my alley! So, of course, I bought it and really liked it! I always like getting book recommendations from smart, thoughtful people, and I found out Brian is a bit of a history nerd too! This year, we were chatting again and he was telling me about the book below. It is about the assassination of James Garfield by Charlie Guiteau. Garfield seemed to be one of those Gilded Age presidents who was actually going to reform the civil service and possibly have a strong backbone against corruption. And then he was shot and died 6 months into his presidency--by a guy who was pissed off he didn't get a job. 
Mathew introduced me to the Johnny Cash song, "Mr. Garfield," several years ago so each year my APUSH students get to listen in as well. His assassination has always fascinated me, but so little is written about it.
Anywho, Brian suggested this book which I thought sounded interesting, and then he brought it to school for me the next day! How thoughtful was that?? I haven't started reading it but am anxious to do so! Thanks Brian for a good book suggestion and bringing me a copy to borrow! (Too bad he doesn't read my blog...) 


No comments:

Post a Comment